Sfax is a big town in Tunisia. It is located 270 km (168 miles) away from the south east of the capital Tunis. The city, founded in AD 849 on the ruins of Syphax (Berber), Thaenae and Taparura (Roman).
Sfax constitute the center of a vast region known for its intense economic activities, primarily agriculture and commerce. In fact, it is the first oil producer, first fishing port, second industrial and small petroleum and gas producer.
The University of Sfax was created under Law No. 86-80 of 9 August 1986 published in the Official Gazette of the Republic of Tunisia 44, No. 8 – August 12 1986.
The University of Sfax is located in Airport road km 0.5 P.O.BOX 1169 – 3029 – Sfax – Tunisia. Founded in 1986 as a step towards decentralizing higher education in Tunisia.
The University of Sfax has lived since its creation a change in the number of students, the number of teachers and quality education in these institutions.
The University of Sfax is living today a new era of development and restructuring.
Currently it has five faculties, three schools and twelve institutes.
• Faculty of Economic Sciences and Management
• Faculty of Letters and Humanities
• Faculty of Medicine
• Faculty of Sciences
• Faculty of Law
• National Engineering School
• High School of Business
• Higher School of Health Sciences and Technics (Institution in Co-Guardianship)
• Preparatory Engineering Institute
• Higher Institute of Computer Science and Multimedia
• Higher Institute of Electronics and Communication
• Higher Institute of Biotechnology
• Higher Institute of Arts and Crafts
• Institute of Advanced Business Studies
• Higher Institute of Business Administration
• Higher Institute of Industrial Management
• Higher Institute of Music
• Higher Institute of Nursing Sciences (Institution in co-Guardianship)
• Higher Institute of Sport and Physical Education (Institution in co-Guardianship)
• Zitouna Institute (Institution in co-Guardianship – Research Institute)
Mission and Priorities:
- Ensuring the academic activities.
- Developing R&D: Valorization, Innovation, technology transfer …
- Improving the governance of its institutions.
- Towards entrepreneurial University.
- Promoting the professional partnership and interaction with the national and international environment.
- Provide a wide opening at the international level.
- Developing, strengthening and extending an internationalization culture and climate for the H.E systems.
- Promoting exchange and recognition and widening the sphere of cooperation.
- Developing common projects and performing International activities.
- Promoting HE through the transfer of knowledge, best practices and skills.
- Establishing the matchmaking concept (University/Enterprise).
- Addressing the needs, executives and studies of economic and social environment.
- Promoting studies for the social and economic environment.
- Developing human resources: teachers, researchers and technical staff.
- Animating the academic life by cultural and sport activities.